The function of this Committee is:
- To issue directives, subject to the provisions of section 12(a) of the Powers, Privileges and Immunities of Parliament Act, 1996 (Act No. 17 of 1996), providing for disclosure by members of their financial or business interests and determine the form and frequency in which such particulars shall be provided and submit them to the Council for approval;
- Oversee the moral and ethical conduct of members;
- To investigate:
- Any matter relating to the conduct of any Member within the precincts of Parliament either suo motu or on receiving specific request;
- Any alleged breach by any Member of the Standing Rules and Orders, Council Code of Conduct, any resolution of the Council or any matter prescribed by Act of Parliament and the Namibian Constitution;
- Any matter relating to an alleged breach by a Member of his or her duty, in terms of section 22 of the Powers, Privileges and Immunities of Parliament Act, 1996 (No. 17 of 1996, to disclose an interest as contemplated in that section, and report its findings and recommend to the Council the appropriate measures to be taken;
- To exercise its powers and perform its functions as outlined under the Powers, Privileges and Immunities of Parliament Act, 1996 (No 17 of 1996);
- To review the remuneration, entitlements and conditions of service of the Members of the Council and make recommendations to the Council; and
- To perform any other functions as may be referred to it by the Council.
Powers of Committee on Privileges and Immunities of Members of the National Council
In its investigatory functions in regard to any Member, the Committee on Privileges:
- Shall set forth the allegations made against a Member in such manner and with such particulars as may be sufficient to inform such member of the nature of the complaints made against him or her;
- May adopt whatever procedures it deems just and fair, but shall at least hear the complainant and the Member in respect of whom the complaint is lodged; and
- The powers set out in this rule may be exercised by any Committee other than the Committee of Privileges, which has been authorized by the Council to conduct investigations contemplated under this rule.